[R] Interesting remarks about R back in 1999

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Mar 7 02:08:03 CET 2008

      Many people love Mathematica, but it's strength is symbolic
mathematics, not data analysis.  Googling for "data analysis in
Mathematica and R" led me to an advertisement for a Mathematica add-on
called "RLink", which is an "exciting new tool [to] leverage the
statistical analysis power of R from within Mathematica! ... Overall, R
contains perhaps the most advanced data analysis capabilities of any
data analysis package ... .  RLink ... allows Mathematica users to embed
R in their Mathematica applications."
(http://www.scienceops.com/Tools.asp?sID=215)

      In the late 1990s, colleagues raved about Mathematica and pushed
me to use it.  I tried several times, but never figured out how to get
Mathematica to read a simple csv file and do things I did handily in
S-Plus.  Doubtless, that was partly my fault, because a book on "Data
Analysis Using Mathematica" carries a copyright date of 1995.  Some
people had evidently solved the problems that overwhelmed my interest
level at that time.

      Today, if I wanted symbolic mathematics, I might try Yacas
(http://yacas.sourceforge.net/homepage.html -- and the Ryacas package).
Mathematica is probably superior to Yacas, but I'd have to be convinced
that the difference was sufficient to justify the extra expense.

      Just my 0.02 fraction of your favorite currency.
      Spencer