[R] Irregular Time Series Issue

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 02:35:30 CET 2008

The following reads in the series as a data frame
and then na.omit's the NA's and converts to zoo.
Optionally we can merge them back together
aligning them on the times.

library(zoo)
Lines <- "Time Data Time1 Data1
1       b        1         e
7      g         4        i
NA  NA       5         k
NA  NA      NA      NA
"
DF <- read.table(textConnection(Lines), header = TRUE)
f <- function(i) { DF <- na.omit(DF[i + 0:1]); zoo(DF[,2], DF[,1]) }
ix <- seq(1, ncol(DF), 2)
ser <- lapply(ix, f)
names(ser) <- names(DF)[-ix]

# optional