[R] source(echo=TRUE) bug (was: source() behavior I don't understand)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Mar 10 03:52:06 CET 2008

On 09/03/2008 10:40 PM, Richard M. Heiberger wrote:
> Thanks Duncan,
>
> While there, can you give a new optional argument that
> will permit the echo of blanks and comments?

Comments are already echoed, leading blank lines are not (but blanks in
comments are).  For example:

 > temp.ttt <- "ttt <- 1\n\n# comment\n\nttt"
 > cat(file="c:/temp/temp.R", temp.ttt)
 > source("c:/temp/temp.R", echo=TRUE)

 > ttt <- 1

 > # comment
 >
 > ttt
[1] 1

(I ran this in the patched version, but I believe the behaviour would be
the same in the release as well.)

I forget exactly why I chose to suppress leading blanks, but the
workaround of commenting the first of them is so easy, I don't think
it's worth the trouble to add an extra option.

Duncan