[R] Converting a data frame with values into a matrix/

John Kane jrkrideau at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 12 19:03:33 CET 2008

The way that you have set up the data.frame is rather
unusual. It makes NES a factor which I suspect you
don't want. Do str(xx) to see what I mean

Here is a way that I think does what you want but with
the data.frame constructed in a different manner.
Again do str(aa) to see the difference
aa <- data.frame(Name=c( "Mike" ,"Carl", "Gene",
"James","Dough"),
         Class=c(  "A",  "A",  "C",  "A",  "B"),
         NES=c( 0.01, 0.2, 0.3, -0.3, 0) )
aa

library(reshape)
mm  <- melt(aa, id=c("Name", "Class"))
mm1  <- cast(mm, Class~Name)

aba <- mm1[,2:6]
aba[is.na(aba)] <- 1

final <- data.frame(mm1$Class, aba)
names(final) <- names(mm1)
final

--- Srinivas Iyyer <srini_iyyer_bio at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear Group,
> I have a data frame like the following:
>

> x <- c("Mike","A",0.01)
> x1 <- c("Carl","A",0.2)
> x2 <- c("Gene","C",0.3)
> x3 <- c("James","A",-0.3)
> x4 <- c("Dough","B",0)
> xx <- rbind(x,x1,x2,x3,x4)
> colnames(xx)<-c("Name","Class","NES")
> xx <-as.data.frame(xx)
>
> > xx
>     Name Class  NES
> x   Mike     A 0.01
> x1  Carl     A  0.2
> x2  Gene     C  0.3
> x3 James     A -0.3
> x4 Dough     B    0
>

> Now I want to create a matrix with unique xx$Name on
> columns and unique xx$Class as rows.  I want to fill
> my choice of values (in this case 1) if data point
> not
> available.
>

> xy <-

matrix(1,length(unique(xx$Class)),length(unique(xx[,1])))