[R] smoothest way to upgrade R, say from 2.6.1 to 2.6.2?

Stefan Grosse singularitaet at gmx.net
Thu Mar 13 18:23:05 CET 2008

On Thursday 13 March 2008 06:05:15 pm Galkowski, Jan wrote:
GJ> (1) How do people manage an upgrade, from 2.6.1, say, to 2.6.2?  2.6.2
GJ> will create its own subdirectory, obliging a copy of library contents to
GJ> the new spot.  The documents are easier.

You forgot to enlighten us about your system. From what you are telling I
would guess its Windows (XP?). On my windows machine I install R in the very
same directory of the old R. So you could create programs/R and there install
your R but of course you must then alternate the suggested directory during
the installation.

GJ> (2) The problem with simply copying library contents is a fear of upward
GJ> incompatibilities.  Am I worrying for naught here?  Are packages upward
GJ> compatible but possibly not downwardly so?

There is no problem within minor releases like 2.6.1 -> 2.6.2 but on
greater "jumps" update.packages offers the option checkbuilt which if set
TRUE updates the packages to their next built. So if 2.7.0 is released and
you install that are over your old you should enable this option.

GJ> (3) What about changing shortcuts, places for .Rprofile and the like?
GJ> Do people have scripts that do all these things at once?

See above

GJ> It would be nice to have a single control file where R binaries and
GJ> libraries and the like could be specified.  That way, all that would
GJ> need to be done is edit one file with an uptick on a point release
GJ> number, say, and things would be fine.

I don't think this is necessary.

Cheers
Stefan