[R] smoothest way to upgrade R, say from 2.6.1 to 2.6.2?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 13 19:11:39 CET 2008

If this _is_ Windows, the question is discussed in detail in the rw-FAQ.
That document also discusses how to install packages into a site or
personal library which can make upgrading easier.

Another consideration not told to us was whether one wants to keep around
a working copy of the older version.  My dept does so (so students can use
a consistent version when preparing their theses, for example), and that
affects the choice of strategy.