[R] Conditionals for Errors or error flags

Jon Loehrke jloehrke at umassd.edu
Sat Mar 15 19:00:21 CET 2008

Greetings,

I have been working on a script that conducts repeated statistics and
plots to my data.  In this case it is sub-setting the dataframe by
month.
The intent is to develop a custom analysis and plotting that I can run
on a large number of data sets.

Unfortunately, a small portion of my subsets (~1%) cause an error with
one of the wrapped subroutines that results in the whole routine
aborting.  It would be incredibly difficult to find the cause of this
error post-run, and the particular routine does not have a way of
treating the error (it isn't as simple as NA, etc.)

What I am wondering is if there is a corollary to the conditional
is.na() such as is.error()? Or is there a way to get some other output
from an error than an abort?

That I can use to toggle between a process that causes an error and
one that doesn't without aborting the whole shebang.

Any ideas are appreciated.

I apologize that I could not think up an example so I included a
psuedo-code below.

do.something<-function(x){
	run other scripts with data, possibly causing an error
}

do.something.else<-function(x){
	Something that doesn't cause an error
}

run.prog<-function(x){

	if(IS.ERROR(do.something)){do.something.else}else{do.something}  #or
flag error
}

run.prog(data)
#runs everything if there is an error it does not abort with error but
rather does something else that doesn't error and continues.

Thank you very much,

Jon
R 2.6.2
MAC OS 10.5

Jon Loehrke
Graduate Research Assistant
Department of Fisheries Oceanography
School for Marine Science and Technology
University of Massachusetts
200 Mill Road, Suite 325
Fairhaven, MA 02719
jloehrke at umassd.edu