[R] problems with rgl in Ubuntu 'gutsy'

Foadi, J (James) james.foadi at diamond.ac.uk
Mon Mar 17 22:11:05 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 05:43:58PM -0000, Foadi, J (James) wrote:
> Yes. It gives me exactly the same problems.
> In fact I have tried the pre-built first and then the source, hoping it would, then, compile.

[...]

[Top posting makes it more difficult to add to you discussion.]

> | This has downloaded and installed without any apparent problem. But, when I type
> |
> |  > demo(rgl)
> |
> | all rgl windows device do not show the outer frame, so I cannot move or resize the window.
> | In addition to that, the image is like "frozen", it can't be either rotated or shifted at all.
> |
> | In short, rgl seems not to behave according to expectations. No error messages appear at any stage.
> |
> | Has anyone a clue on what's going wrong here?
>
> Did you try the pre-built version, ie 'sudo apt-get install r-cran-rgl' ?

Does X do gl-rendering OK with other applications? (what does

$ glxgears -info

give you?)

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans at sociologi.cjb.net>
Q. Why is top posting bad?

I've tried what you suggest. This is the output:

james at jeeg:~/workR$ glxgears -info
GL_RENDERER   = Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM 20061017 x86/MMX/SSE2
GL_VERSION    = 1.3 Mesa 7.0.1
GL_VENDOR     = Tungsten Graphics, Inc
GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_cull_vertex GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_convolution GL_EXT_copy_texture GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_histogram GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_polygon_offset GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_subtexture GL_EXT_texture GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1 GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_INGR_blend_func_separate GL_MESA_pack_invert GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture GL_MESA_window_pos GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_OES_read_format GL_SGI_color_matrix GL_SGI_color_table GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth_texture GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays
4010 frames in 5.0 seconds = 801.912 FPS
3922 frames in 5.0 seconds = 784.398 FPS
3964 frames in 5.0 seconds = 792.797 FPS
3958 frames in 5.0 seconds = 791.476 FPS
3920 frames in 5.0 seconds = 783.856 FPS
3976 frames in 5.0 seconds = 795.106 FPS
4017 frames in 5.0 seconds = 803.364 FPS
3988 frames in 5.0 seconds = 797.593 FPS

And a windows with moving gears appears, and it has a frame. But it doesn't click and drag easily.

<DIV><FONT size="1" color="gray">This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential, copyright and or privileged material, and are for the use of the intended addressee only. If you are not the intended addressee or an authorised recipient of the addressee please notify us of receipt by returning the e-mail and do not use, copy, retain, distribute or disclose the information in or attached to the e-mail.
</FONT></DIV>