[R] Table of basic descriptive statistics like SPSS

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Tue Mar 18 09:37:50 CET 2008

ukoenig at med.uni-marburg.de wrote:
> Dear list readers,
> I want to:
>
> 1. Get a table of basic descriptive statistics for my variables
> with the variable names one below the other
> like SPSS descriptive statistics:
>
> Varname N Min Max Mean SD
> xxxx    x  x  x    x   x
> xxx     x  x  x    x   x

This looks very much like the output of the "describe" function in the
prettyR package. You can specify which summary stats you want (even roll
your own).

> 2. Delete some variables from a data frame or exclude variables
> from beeing analyzed.
>
> 3. Create a text file / redirect the terminal output to a
> file (it is supposed to be easy, but I could not find a solution)?

sink("myoutputfile.txt")
do.your.stuff(...)
sink()
OR
maybe you would enjoy "htmlize" or "R2html" in the prettyR package.

> 4. Create a latex/dvi file

You do this with Sweave, I think.
> 5. Create a PDF file (can that be done within R?)

For plots, the pdf device.
Jim