[R] analyzing binomial data with spatially correlated errors

Jean-Baptiste Ferdy Jean-Baptiste.Ferdy at univ-montp2.fr
Wed Mar 19 17:02:12 CET 2008

Dear R users,

I want to explain binomial data by a serie of fixed effects. My problem is
that my binomial data  are spatially correlated. Naively, I thought I could
found something similar to gls to analyze such data. After some reading, I
decided that lmer is probably to tool I need. The model I want to fit would
look like

lmer ( cbind(n.success,n.failure) ~ (x1 + x2 + ... + xn)^2 , family=binomial,
correlation=corExp(1,form=~longitude+latitude))

This doesn't work because lmer says it needs a random effect in the model.
And, apart from the spatial random effect that I want to capture by computing
the correlation matrix, I have no other random effect.

There must be something I do not understand here... I can't get why gls can do
this on gaussian data but lmer can't on binomial ones.

Any help or thought on this would be welcome !
--
Jean-Baptiste Ferdy
Institut des Sciences de l'Évolution de Montpellier