[R] R GUI question

jeffreya jeff_a_10487 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 20:56:13 CET 2008

Hi.

I'm looking to create a user-friendly program built around some R methods
I've written. The program should be as easy to install and use as possible
and will be built around a GUI. This program will be cross-platform; that's
crucial.

I'm familiar with Java and its GUI packages, I've been looking at the JRI
package (interfaces R with Java) but I'm a little uneasy about asking my
users to go through its installation (necessitates mingw, among other
things, in Windows). Though, once installed, it could work very well.

I have a little exposure to Tcl/TK. Though I'm not as big of a fan of this
as I am of Java, I could suck it up and use it, but I'm not sure that its
installation is a whole lot simpler?

What, in your experience, is the easiest way to accomplish something like
this?

To recapitulate, my criteria are:
1.) Easy installation
2.) Ease of use (GUI)
3.) Interface with functions written in R
4.) Cross-platform

I'm willing to learn a new language (scripting or otherwise) if necessary.

Thanks so much.