[R] analyzing binomial data with spatially correlated errors

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Mar 20 13:36:49 CET 2008

Ben Bolker <bolker <at> ufl.edu> writes:

> Jean-Baptiste Ferdy <Jean-Baptiste.Ferdy <at> univ-montp2.fr> writes:
>

> > Dear R users,
> >
> > I want to explain binomial data by a serie of fixed effects. My
> > problem is that my binomial data  are spatially correlated. Naively,
> > I thought I could found something similar to gls to analyze such
> > data. After some reading, I decided that lmer is probably to tool
> > I need. The model I want to fit would look like

(...)
> You could *almost* use glmmPQL from the MASS package,
> which allows you to fit any lme model structure
> within a GLM 'wrapper', but as far as I know it wraps only lme (
> which requires at least one random effect) and not gls.

The trick used in:

Dormann, C. F., McPherson, J. M., Araujo, M. B., Bivand, R.,
Bolliger, J., Carl, G., Davies, R. G., Hirzel, A., Jetz, W.,
Kissling, W. D., Kühn, I., Ohlemüller, R., Peres-Neto, P. R.,
Reineking, B., Schröder, B., Schurr, F. M. & Wilson, R. J. (2007):
Methods to account for spatial autocorrelation in the analysis of
species distributional data: a review. Ecography 30: 609–628

(see online supplement), is to add a constant term "group", and set
random=~1|group. The specific use with a binomial family there is for
a (0,1) response, rather than a two-column matrix.

>   You could try gee or geoRglm -- neither trivially easy, I think ...

The same paper includes a GEE adaptation, but for a specific spatial
configuration rather than a general one.

Roger Bivand