[R] Importing an Excel spreadsheet

andy geek_show at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Mar 20 23:28:31 CET 2008

Hello

I am trying to import an *.xls spreadsheet into R. I am doing this as
follows:

 > read.table(file("A5_DL.xls"))

But obtain the error:

Error in type.convert(data[[i]], as.is = as.is[i], dec = dec, na.strings
= character(0)) :
invalid multibyte string at '?????'

So I copied it all over to a text document and tried to import that, thus:
 > read.table("A5.txt")

The error I got then was:

Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines,
na.strings, :
line 26 did not have 34 elements

Having gone over the line in question, it all seems to be the same as
any other row. I really don't want to have to manually re-enter the data
(some 98 rows x 26 columns).

Can someone advise me on what I am overlooking here please.

Thanks

Andy