[R] conditional matching of rows of tables

Stanley Ng stanleyngkl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 01:00:08 CET 2008

Second try :P

I have matrix A of 4 cols:
 1 a 0 4
 1 b 5 8
 2 a 0 3
 2 b 4 7

And matrix B of 3 cols:
 1 2 3
 2 4 5
 2 0 3
 1 7 8

I would like to assign (a or b) to the rows of matrix B. The rules are that
in each row of matrix B, the 1st value must match the 1st col. of matrix A,
2nd and 3rd values must lie between 3rd and 4rd cols (inclusive) of matrix
A.

For example, the 1st row of matrix B is 1 2 3, the 1st value "1" corresponds
to 1st and 2nd row of matrix A. Next, its 2nd and 3rd values "2" and "3" lie
between "0" and "4" of 1st row of matrix A. Thus 1st row of matrix B is
assigned "a". Similarly, the assignments for remaining rows of matrix B are
 2 4 5 -> "b"
 2 0 3 -> "a"
 1 7 8 -> "b"