[R] make error: ../../../bin/R: bad substitution

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 24 19:45:12 CET 2008

Since you have posted about this before with errors earlier in the build
process and not told us those were resolved, very likely something prior
to this is the problem.

You will find people here more responsive if you don't disregard the
posting guide, e.g. by sending HTML mail.

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, tomkur2006-takehome at yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am getting this error when I run 'make' under src/library/base:
> ../../../library/base/R/base is unchanged
> ../../../bin/R: bad substitution
> make: *** [all] Error 1
>
> I traced it down to the following line in src/library/base/Makefile:
>       @cat $(srcdir)/makebasedb.R | \
>          R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES=NULL LC_ALL=C $(R_EXE) --slave > /dev/null
>
> I am trying to build R-2.6.2 on a Solaris 9 box.
> Can anyone advise on what may go wrong?  Thank you.

That doesn't help at all: we already know the problem is in bin/R, which
will affect any attempt to run R. You will have to track down the 'bad
substitution' (and no one else is going to be able to do it for you).

BTW, R 2.6.2 runs perfectly well on Solaris 8 and 10, and we know R 2.6.0
works on Solaris 9 because sunfreeware.com distribute it.  This points
pretty firmly to something non-standard about your system.