[R] Passing (Optional) Arguments

Jason Q. McClintic jqmcclintic at stthomas.edu
Tue Mar 25 03:34:14 CET 2008

Dear List:

In short, I am writing a number of functions as building blocks for
other functions and have some questions about scoping and passing arguments.

Suppose I have functions foo1, foo2, and foo3 such that:

	foo1<-function(a=1,b=TRUE,c=FALSE){#do stuff};
	foo2<-function(x=1,y=FALSE,z=c(1,2,3,4)){#do stuff};
	foo3<-function(lambda,...){lambda*foo1()*foo2()};

I want to be able to pass a,b,c,x,y,z to the functions foo1 and foo2
though foo3 (whether I define default values or not). How do I do this?
I read a bit in the wiki about problems with partial argument matching
and argument matching (lesson: make argument names not match truncated
versions of other argument names in the "target" function).

To get a better feel for things I've been playing with examples such as:

	b<-c(0.25,0.25);
	fun<-function(a=1,...){a*b};

fun() returns 0.25 0.25 as expected.
fun(a=2) returns 0.5 0.5 as expected.
However, fun(b=1) returns 0.25 0.25 when I want to overwrite b with the
value 1 and have it return 1.

Likewise with

	fun<-function(a=1,...){a*return(b)};

any argument I supply for b seems to be ignored.

I understand as b is not defined within the function when I enter

	fun()

lexical scoping means R looks for b up one level and, finding b, uses it.

Thanks for any/all help.

Sincerely,

Jason Q. McClintic
--
Jason Q McClintic
UST MB 1945
jqmcclintic at stthomas.edu
mccl0219 at tc.umn.edu

"It is insufficient to protect ourselves with laws, we must protect
ourselves with mathematics."--Bruce Schneier