[R] re gression trees: mean square vs. absolute errors

lubaroz tutanga at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 13:20:21 CET 2008

Hi,
I am working with CART regression now to predict a probability; the response
is binary. Could anyone tell me in which cases it is better to use mean
square error for splitting nodes and when mean absolute error should be
preferred.
I am now using the default (MSE) version and I can see that the obtained
optimal tree is very different from the tree with the least mean absolute
error.

Thanks in advance,
  Luba