[R] Vista#package installation#difference between Rgui and Rterm#Help me understand

Christian Ritter christian.ritter at uclouvain.be
Tue Mar 25 16:42:09 CET 2008

Hi all,

Found some comments on this on the FAQ under 2.24 but someone may have
some more explanations ... and I might then understand.

Operating system: Vista Ultimate (SP1 test version)
Installed R: R version 2.6.2 (2008-02-08)

When I try to install packages which need to write into privileged
spaces, I am inclined to run the RGui "As an Administrator".  I would
then want to use the pull down menu to set the download side and to
select the desired package. However, this gives me "could not copy files
from temporary ..." messages. This suggests that the administrator
privilege got lost on the way.
Running install.packages("...") in the Rgui seems to work better. Then
again, it only works partly. One of the packages I wanted to install is
an experimental version of the RExcel.installer. Somewhere down the
road, this installer invokes rcom and makes an entry in the registry.
For this it needs administrator privilege and seems to have lost it by
then.

On the other hand, when I run R in a CMD shell started "As an
Administrator"  then everything works as expected.

Why is this so?

Thanks in advance,

Chris.