[R] Clash between alr3 and AlgDesign. (Was: Re: Second & subsequent calls to function fails. Please help debug.)

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 17:31:03 CEST 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:
> In my opinion, all packages should have namespaces, and I'd like to
> create a default one if the author doesn't.  (The default would be:
> import what is listed in the Depends clause, export everything.)  I
> don't think this will happen for 2.7.0, though package.skeleton might
> start creating one.

Namespaces are such a pain when you don't really need them though.
Its nice just to be able to source a new version of a function and have
it immediately work with the package.  Particularly for packages that
are changing or for which there is substantial code changes in the
devel version this is very convenient and namespaces interefere with that.

Although its possible to have namespace problems as discussed in this
thread I have found that it rarely actually happens and certainly not enough
to impose it.