[R] Definition of "wrapper"?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 21:35:05 CEST 2008

The wrapper wraps, i.e. calls, another function that does the real
work but provides a different or more convenient (or more convenient
for a specific purpose) interface to it or specific syntax.  Often the wrapper
has the same arguments but different defaults and sometimes that
is referred to as a "convenience" wrapper.  Sometimes its used in
the sense of providing an R interface to a C function with essentially
similar arguments.

by is a wrapper to tapply which preprocesses the data in a way
that makes it acceptable to tapply, read.csv and Map are wrappers
to read.table and mapply which are the same but have different argument
defaults, sprintf is a wrapper to the C function of the same name,
%o% is a wrapper to outer.

I don't think there is a formalized definition within R -- the above is
based on current usage.