[R] efficient code - yet another question

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 1 09:52:50 CEST 2008

Some comments

1) 'Writing R Extensions' has a chapter about looking into bottlenecks
('profiling'). Had you given a working example, I might have shown you
some results.

One thing which is clearly suboptimal is to grow components (in your case
by cbind) rather than allocate them initially and assign the column
needed.

2) You are using matrix algebra extensively, and for that you want to use
an optimized BLAS.  We provide such on CRAN for Windows' users, ready for
download.  This can speed up crossprod() and tcrossprod() severalfold (amd
more on a platform where threaded BLAS and multi-core CPUS are available).

3) I've referred to 'S Programming' already this morning.  In its chapter
on efficiency, it shows that for some problems writing C or Fortran is the
way to get real efficiency.  Yours would appear to be one in which writing
Fortran to call LAPACK routines to do this would take only a few minutes.