[R] Excluding/removing row and column names on text output files

Stropharia stevenworthington at hotmail.com
Sat May 3 03:02:23 CEST 2008

Dear R users,

I've had no joy finding a solution to this online or in any of my R books.
Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I'm seeking to output a data frame (or matrix - it doesn't matter which for
my purposes) to a .txt file, but omit any row or column names. The data
frame that I'm using doesn't actually have column or row names to start with
as it has been coerced into its present form from a matrix. When I use:

capture.output(x, file="/Users/Desktop/Data.txt", append=TRUE)

I get the following (this is a small fraction of the actual data frame):

    1 2 3 4 5
X1 0 0 0 0 2
X2 0 0 0 2 0
X3 1 1 2 0 0

If the data frame is transformed into a matrix, I still get row and column
'names' (or at least numbers like "v1," etc.). Using the "sink" function
also produces the exact same result. I've tried using "row.names=FALSE" (as
you would when writing to a .csv file), in the "capture.output" function,
but it doesn't work.

I would also like the remove the horizontal spaces between numbers on the
same row, to produce:

00002
00020
11200

But, I want each row to remain a separate entity (not be concatenated with
the others). I know I can remove the blank spaces by doing Find and Replace
in a text editor, but is it possible to remove the row and column names, and
the row spaces, directly in R so that it outputs like the above example?

Thanks,

Steve

Steven Worthington
Ph.D. Candidate