[R] Categorizing Fonts using Statistical Methods

Johannes Hüsing johannes at huesing.name
Sun May 4 21:37:45 CEST 2008

Leonard Mada <lmada at gmx.net> [Sun, May 04, 2008 at 07:26:04PM CEST]:
> Dear list members,
>
> Every "modern" OS comes with dozens of useless fonts, so that the
> current font drop-down list in most programs is overcrowded with fonts
> one never will use. Selecting a useful font becomes a nightmare.
>
> In an attempt to ease the selection of useful fonts, I began looking
> into sorting fonts using some statistical techniques. I summed my ideas
> on the OpenOffice.org wiki:
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/ToDo/Product/Font_Categories
>
> Of course, there is NO guarantee that something useful will emerge, but
> at least someone has tried it.

Why is there nothing mentioned with respect to the classical font categorization,
Venetian, Aldine, Transitional, Modern, Slab Serif, ... ?

[...]
>   - maybe some other measures

If you can obtain the *.afm information of the font, you have some useful parameters such
as cap height, ascender height, descender height, oblique angle ...

--
Johannes Hüsing               There is something fascinating about science.
                              One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture