[R] Ancova_non-normality of errors

Yvonnick NOEL yvonnick.noel at uhb.fr
Mon May 5 13:41:35 CEST 2008

Hello Tobias,

I am not sure what your wt variable is: I suspect a 'weight'. If it is a nonnegative measure, then you want a positive density model, not a normal density in the first place. I think you should try a Gamma GLM, and look at a Gamma qqplot within each of your conditions. You could try the following:

M1 = glm(wt ~ pes + origin + gender + gender:pes, family=Gamma(link=identity))

M2 = glm(wt ~ pes + origin + gender + gender:pes, family=Gamma(link=log))

M3 = glm(wt ~ pes + origin + gender + gender:pes, family=Gamma(link=inverse))

and see whether one of them fit better, in terms of qqplot adjustment or comparative fit indicies (AIC, BIC,...).

HTH,

Yvonnick Noel, PhD
University of Brittany
France