[R] Character entry mismatch in the console window

Dennis Hansen dmhansen at stanford.edu
Mon May 5 14:49:59 CEST 2008

Dear R users,

I have just de-installed my old R 2.4.1 and installed R 2.7.0. I
downloaded this version from the South African mirror, as I am currently
working in South Africa.

When trying to paste any of my old analyses into the console (I keep
them in word-documents), I get an error when I first try to load the
data with the following line (example):

lap.long.dist <-
read.table(“C:\\Ranalysis\\SouthAfrica\\Lap.oreogena\\lap.long.distance.txt”,
header = TRUE);

I get the error:

Error: unexpected input in "lap.long.dist <- read.table(“"

Note that (at least on my screen now) the two " (quotation marks) at the
end of the error message are different. The only way I can make it work
is to manually go and delete and re-type all the "-characters in my
command line in R, before pressing enter.

This, to me, suggests that R now for some reason is "mis-matched" or
whatever you want to call it with the way my computer uses (encodes?)
its characters in other programmes.

I am sure there is an easy way to correct this in some setting, but
despite an hour's search on the net and elsewhere, I am no closer to
solving the problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Dennis

--

Dennis Hansen, PhD

Postdoctoral Scholar
Department of Biology
371 Serra Mall, Gilbert Building, Room 109
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-5020
USA