[R] rpart for survival fits

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 5 22:09:41 CEST 2008

On Mon, 5 May 2008, Chang Liu wrote:

> Hello Gurus:
>
> When I plot a survival fit using rpart for the classification tree,

I don't think that is a 'classification tree': no classification is going
on.  I will assume you called rpart() with a survival response.

> for each node, there is a decimal based number above the event/total. I
> tried to see if it's the exponential ratio or logrithmics, neither seem
> to be the case. I'm wondering if anyone knows what they are.

Yes, I am sure the author knows.  But to be precise, plotting the fit does
not output those numbers, the text() method does.  What it adds is the
frame$yval component of the fit, the 'fitted value' according to
?rpart.object (which is printed when you print the fit).

You really do need to read the documentation to understand what the fitted
values are in this case.  E.g. http://www.mayo.edu/hsr/techrpt/61.pdf