[R] Regarding nls()

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Tue May 6 18:30:37 CEST 2008

      My summary of Bates' comments cited below is as follows:

           1.  ANOVA is an excellent tool but requires nested models.
You can do this fairly easily, but it is not so easily automated.

           2.  The standard definition of R^2 loses its meaning with
nonlinear models.  Adjusted R^2 is even worse.

      Bates' condemnation of R^2 has merit, but I would not go as far as
he did in the comment cited below (dated 13 Aug 2000).  A standard
definition of R^2 is as follows:

            R^2 = (1 - var(prediction error) / var(obs)).

      I can name several different ways of getting a negative R^2 in
this case.  When that happens, it says the model is worse than useless,
and you would be better off using the training set mean.

      If I have an audience who wants an R^2 in an application where it
is not clear what it even means, I try to briefly explain some of the
difficulties while asking what question they are trying to solve using
R^2.  Their answers will help me make a recommendation, which may
include selecting which of the possible generalizations of R^2 to use.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer Graves