[R] speeding up a special product of three arrays

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Fri May 9 16:53:16 CEST 2008

Le ven. 09 mai à 03:44, Dimitris Rizopoulos a écrit :

> try this:
>
> A <- matrix(rnorm(10*4), 10, 4)
> B <- matrix(rnorm(3*4), 3, 4)
> C <- matrix(rnorm(5*4), 5, 4)
>
> nrA <- nrow(A); nrB <- nrow(B); nrC <- nrow(C)
> ind <- as.matrix(expand.grid(1:nrA, 1:nrB, 1:nrC))
> D <- rowSums(A[ind[, 1], ] * B[ind[, 2], ] * C[ind[, 3], ])
> dim(D) <- c(nrA, nrB, nrC)

Dimitris,

We basically have the same solution. Actually, I first went exactly
the same path as you, but I didn't think of expand.grid(), so I was
creating the index matrix manually (easy, but ugly).

Now, just out of curiosity, I made a few tests with ~ 100-row matrices
and my solution is slightly faster (to the order of 1 sec. vs 1.2
sec). :-) This is mostly due to slice.index() being faster than
expand.grid(). In fact, if one doesn't mind the ugliness, building the
indexes manually brings your solutions on par with mine in terms of
speed. Doing this is left as an exercise to the reader...

Does this matter? No. It's just that it's a sunny Friday...

Cheers

Vincent