[R] [R-sig-ME] lme nesting/interaction advice

Federico Calboli f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk
Mon May 12 16:26:53 CEST 2008

On 12 May 2008, at 14:37, Doran, Harold wrote:

> I haven't followed this thread carefully, so apologies if I'm too off
> base. But, in response to Rolf's questions/issues. First, SAS cannot
> handle models with crossed random effects (at least well at all).
> SAS is
> horribly incapable of handling even the simplest of models (especially
> generalized linear mixed models). I can cite numerous (recent)
> examples
> of SAS coming to a complete halt (proc nlmixed) for an analyses we
> were
> recently working on. R (and Ubuntu) was the only solution to our
> problem

First off, let's keep SAS out of this. I never used it, never wanted
to use it and did not mention anywhere I wanted to get SAS-like
results! Although, seeing how easily it creeps up, I can sympathise
with those who have strog feelings about it! [for those with strong
feelings about me, this is meant to be something joke-like]

> Now, lme is not optimized for crossed random effects, but lmer is.
> That
> is why lmer is supported and lme is not really supported much. lmer is
> optimized for models with nested random effects and crossed random
> effects.
>
> When working with models with nested random effects, and software
> optimized for those problems (e.g., HLM, SAS, mlWin) the
> variance/covariance matrix forms a special, and simple structure that
> can be easily worked with. This is not the case for models with
> crossed
> random effects.
>
> Software packages designed for nested random effects can be tricked
> into
> handling models with crossed random effects, but this kludge is
> slow and
> really inefficient.
>
> If you want complete transparency into the why and how, here is a
> citation for your review.

Thank you very much. I'll read the paper and hopefully get the
answers I was looking for.

Best,

Federico