[R] inserting mathematical symbols in lattice strip

Richard.Cotton at hsl.gov.uk Richard.Cotton at hsl.gov.uk
Mon May 12 17:47:51 CEST 2008

> I have tried without success to find a way including the square root
symbol
> in lattice strips as part of my conditioning labels. I have tried
> supplementing by creating a list of vectors using the var.name function
> coupled with the expression function used in xlab/ylab.
>
> xyplot(adjusted_Rand_index~cluster|distance_measure, main="Level of
> agreement between partitions: Wards Method", ylab="Coefficient value
> (adjusted rand index)", xlab="number of clusters", type="l",
data=randA1,
> strip=strip.custom(varnames=c(expression(sqrt(Bray-Curtis)))
>
> Is there a way of generating the square root symbol inside the strip or
am I
> wasting my time. i.e. converting Bray-Curtis to ... [sqrt symbol]
> Bray-Curtis.

You want factor.level, not var.name in strip.custom.

Here's an example with the iris data.  Apologies for the second line;
there's almost certainly an easier way to do it, but you (hopefully) get
the idea.

flevels <- levels(iris$Species)
foo <- paste("c(", paste("expression(paste(", flevels, ", sqrt(", 1:3,
")))", sep="", collapse=","), ")")
xyplot(Sepal.Length ~ Petal.Length | Species,
    data = iris,
    strip=strip.custom(factor.levels=eval(parse(text=foo))))

Regards,
Richie.

Mathematical Sciences Unit
HSL