[R] Likelihood between observed and predicted response

Christophe LOOTS Christophe.Loots at ifremer.fr
Tue May 13 14:23:29 CEST 2008

Hi,

I've two fitted models, one binomial model with presence-absence data
that predicts probability of presence and one gaussian model (normal or
log-normal abundances).

I would like to evaluate these models not on their capability of
adjustment but on their capability of prediction by calculating the
(log)likelihood between predicted and observed values for each type of
model.

I found the following formula for Bernouilli model :

-2 log lik = -2 sum (y*log phat + (1-y)*log(1-phat) ), with "phat" is
the probaility (between 0 and 1) and "y" is the observed values (0 or 1).

1) Is anybody can tell me if this formula is statistically true?
2) Can someone tell me what is the formula of the likelihood between
observed and predicted values for a gaussian model ?

Thanks

--
Christophe LOOTS
PhD student - Hydrobiological modelling of fish habitats

Tél : +33(0)3 21 99 56 86
Fax : +33(0)3 21 99 56 01
E-mail : cloots at ifremer.fr
http://www.ifremer.fr/drvboulogne/labo/equipe.htm