[R] console from tcltk

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed May 14 17:35:38 CEST 2008

Thanks.  I've updated to the latest R on the mirror I used and
 puts stdout 12
from tcl does indeed produce output from Rterm on Windows but gives an
error message from Rgui on Windows (both on Windows Vista SP1).

----------------- this works

C:\tmp2>Rterm

R version 2.7.0 Patched (2008-05-11 r45672)
[...deleted...]
> library(tcltk)
> .Tcl("puts stdout 12")
12
<Tcl>
> xx <- .Tcl("puts stdout 12")
12

-------------- this gives an error message

C:\tmp2>Rgui

R version 2.7.0 Patched (2008-05-11 r45672)
[...deleted...]
> library(tcltk)
> xx <- .Tcl("puts stdout 12")
Error in structure(.External("dotTcl", ..., PACKAGE = "tcltk"), class
= "tclObj") :
  [tcl] can not find channel named "stdout".