[R] Can R handle large dataset?

Richard Rowe richard.rowe at jcu.edu.au
Thu May 15 01:39:43 CEST 2008

Mingjun Huang wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    I am new to R, can anyone give me an idea of how R handle a large dataset
>    (e.g. couple of Gbytes)? Thanks a lot!

In answer to your subject line: yes, not gigantic (multi-terrabyte), but
large is likely to be OK.

How depends on what you are trying to do.  If you are running a 64 bit
OS with a terrabyte or more of RAM you shouldn't notice unless you are
doing something messy (all bets are off if you are attempting to list
all permutations of the data!); if you are running 32bit with a max size
set by the OS of 2Gb then the answer is with much care and considerable
cunning and possibly modification of your intermediate goals.
Q1 is always - why are you dealing with such a big dataset? Is all the
data equally informative?  Because you can collect data doesn't mean you
have to, or if you do insist on collecting it (presumably
automatically), that it will be useful.

--
Dr Richard Rowe
Zoology & Tropical Ecology