[R] lattice histogram problem with integers values and nint

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Thu May 15 21:43:15 CEST 2008

Two comments. First of all, I don't see how you can be sure that if
you specify 365 bins, then each bin will contain exactly one day. In
order to do that, you need to know that each bin has width exactly 1,
and you don't tell lattice to use such a width, so it is likely
choosing something else. In fact, if you save your histogram in a
temporary variable, say "pl", then the following will show you where
lattice puts the breaks:

pl$panel.args.common$breaks

In the example I tried, the difference in any two consecutive breaks
was 1.077041

The second point, is that this would probably be better done with an
xyplot, using type="h". So assuming that x has those 170000 values,
and that all days occur, the following might be more satisfactory:

xyplot(table(x)~1:365, type="h")

I don't see the benefit in having bars instead of single vertical
lines personally.

Hope this helps,
Haris Skiadas
Hanover College