[R] *apply function for arrays?

Hesen Peng hesen.peng at gmail.com
Sun May 18 03:57:00 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I've recently been writing functions which may deal with very large
arrays. And I hope to use *apply functions in the program so that the
code may look nicer and the performance may be better in the following
two situations.

The first situation is:

I'm having an array A with dim(A)==c(m,n,p). And I want to apply a
function F to a group of elements in A like:

1) F is applied to every group of elements like A[i,j,] for all i and j.
or
2) F is applied to every group of elements like A[i,,] for all i, or
A[,j,] for all j.

The result is then expected to be a m*n-dimensional matrix

I'm currently using for loops to do this but I guess there maybe some
*apply functions for arrays which may accomplish this task.

The second situation is:

I'm having two matrix M and N and a function G, which is a function of
two arrays. I want to form a matrix R with dim(R)==c(nrow(M),nrow(N)),
and R[i,j] <- G(M[i,], N[j,]). And I wonder whether I may use some
functions like outer to the matrix.

Thank you very much and have a nice weekend.

--
彭河森 Hesen Peng
http://hesen.peng.googlepages.com/