[R] pch="." plots much faster

Charles Plessy charles-r-nospam at plessy.org
Mon May 19 03:26:31 CEST 2008

Le Tue, May 13, 2008 at 01:08:15PM +0100, Prof Brian Ripley a écrit :

> That is a function of your X setup.  R does ask for backing store to be
> used, and so it seeems your setup is not doing so. Also, the type="cairo"
> in X11() will repaint from a backing pixmap.

Thanks for the answer.

I have tried to add :
Option	"BackingStore"	"true"
in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but it created many display artefacts. I
understand why it was not on by default: it seems that not all graphic card
drives support the option correctly. In the meantime, I have started to
use a R installation that can make cairo graphics and I am very
satisfied of it.

(I also have tried to reduce the complexity of my plots, for instance by
using the unique() function, that works very well with my highly
redundant data).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy