[R] Opening more than 1 R console in Windows

Charles Plessy charles-r-nospam at plessy.org
Mon May 19 09:02:40 CEST 2008

Le Mon, May 19, 2008 at 07:39:11AM +0100, Prof Brian Ripley a écrit :
> On Sun, 18 May 2008, Anh Tran wrote:
> >
> >I recently found out that R does not utilize fully the Duo Core capability
> >when you only run one instance of R.
>
> How surprising was that?  Do you have any programs that do?  Very few
> Windows programs make effective use of multiple CPUs, and of those that
> do, they do not do so for the sort of tasks R is running routinely.

Hello,

actually, when I was (wrongly) plotting a 1,500,000 × 8 data frame and
had problems because the plot window was redrawn very frequently, I
wondered whether this would be one task that could be given to a separate
CPU than the one that deals with the command line interface of R. Do you
think that it would be possible?

Best regards,

--
Charles Plessy