[R] Histograms without bars

Andre Nathan andre at digirati.com.br
Mon May 19 22:28:07 CEST 2008

Hello

I'd like to plot a histogram of some data composed of real numbers. The
bin width I'm using is ~ 0.01, which results in high values in the y
axis, so that the area under each bar corresponds to the probability of
the data in that range.

Is is possible to plot points whose y coordinate correspond to that
probability, instead of plotting the histogram bars? In other words,
instead of having a bar of width 0.01 and height, say, 80, I'd like to
have a single point at y = 0.8.

I know I could use the values returned from hist() and calculate that
manually, but maybe there's a better way to do that. I've been using
prop.table() to plot these "histograms" for integer numbers, but now I
need binning and I'm not sure what is the best way to proceed.

Thanks in advance,
Andre