[R] String buffer

Applejus ielkhoury at gmail.com
Tue May 20 18:58:48 CEST 2008

Hello,

I have an expression "a" in R that has about 2300 characters and I want to
convert it to a string using toString or as.character. The problem is I am
only getting the first 500 or so characters when I convert it to string. I
tried to use substring in order to convert one bunch at a time, but when I
type substring(a, 498, 1000) I get only 2 characters, meaning it seems there
is a limit of 500 characters at most, even for the substring function.

The weird part is that the conversion with as.character works fine with
Splus, but not in R.

Could anyone help me out? Is there a string buffer function like that of
java? Should I change something in the console configuration? (I tried to
increase the buffer but it still doesn't work)

Thanks!