[R] mixed effects models with nested factors

Luis Cayuela luis.cayuela at uah.es
Wed May 21 14:12:28 CEST 2008

Thanks for the help provided to fit the model. I still have two questions:

1) What is the syntax for nested fixed and random factors. I have tried
using the %in% operator but it does not work. The model I want to fit would
be as follow:

lmer 1 <- lmer(Growing ~ Seed + Species%in%Seed + Treatment +
(1|Block%in%Treatment), data)

2) Seed, Species and Treatment are intra-subject factors. This means that an
ANOVA of repeated measure should apply here. How should this be specified in
the model? Or should I assume that this is incorporated by specifying the
Block as a random factor?

All the best,

Luis

Luis Cayuela