[R] AMOVA results from ade4 different than in the reference publication

Kim Milferstedt milferst at uiuc.edu
Thu May 22 18:50:11 CEST 2008

Hello,

I am trying to run some AMOVA analyses with the amova function in the
package ade4.

When running the example dataset provided in ade4, I noticed a
difference between the published results from the same data (Excoffier
et al. 1992) and what ade4 calculates.

Below are the data for "within sample/population" from ade4 and from the
haplotypic distance matrix in the paper:

source	name	Variance	% total variance	p-value	phi
ade4	within samples	0.478	75.390	1.000	0.246
paper	within populations	0.478	75.390	0.000	0.246

In the R output, it seems that the Std.Obs for "within samples" in ade4
is very high and may be the reason why the difference is not
significant. Std.Obs is not given in the publication.

Is the high p-value an error in ade4 or am I missing something?

Thanks already for your help!

Kim
Kim Milferstedt, PhD
Postdoctoral Researcher