[R] Fit a sine to data

apjaworski at mmm.com apjaworski at mmm.com
Fri May 23 17:19:27 CEST 2008

Milan,

This is a fairly standard trick.  Let us generalize your equation slightly:

y ~ a + c*sin(x+b)

so the amplitude of the sine wave is adjustable (otherwise, you assume (or
know) that the amplitude is 1).  Then

y ~ a + c*sin(b)*cos(x) + c*cos(b)*sin(x)

or

y ~ b0 + b1*x1 + b2*x2

which is a linear regression form that you can do using the lm function.
After you get b0, b1 and b2 you do

a = b0
b1^2 + b2^2 = c^2*(sin^2(b) + cos^2(b)) = c^2  ====> c = sqrt(b1^2 + b2^2)
b1/b2 = tan(b)  ====>  b = arctan(b1/b2)

Hope this helps,

Andy

__________________________________
Andy Jaworski
518-1-01
Process Laboratory
3M Corporate Research Laboratory
-----
E-mail: apjaworski at mmm.com
Tel:  (651) 733-6092
Fax:  (651) 736-3122

             "Zroutik Zroutik"
             <zroutik at gmail.co
             Sent by:                  r-help at r-project.org
             r-help-bounces at r-                                          cc
             project.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [R] Fit a sine to data
             05/23/2008 08:49
             AM

Dear R-users,

I'd like to fit a sine function to my data. The result should have a format
(and thus the formula, too)

y ~ a + sin(x+b)

where y and x are vectors, and a and b are (yet) unknown values.

The data sets (vectors x and y) are OK, and I can do a simple lm fitting
lm(y~x), or lm(y~I(sin(2*pi*x/360))), succesfully  My issue is that I'm not
able to do the optional linear shift in x (e.g. x+b). What other
possibilities should I use instead of lm? I looked searched the R-seek for
terms: fit, sine, lm, and combinations, but I could not find anything
useful. Anybody would be so kind and point me to the right direction where
can find other fitting possibilities?

Thank you for listening and kind answers upfront.

Regards,
Milan

             [[alternative HTML version deleted]]