[R] Pros and Cons of R

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri May 23 20:48:26 CEST 2008

GREGOR Brian J wrote:
> Monica, here are some other Pros to consider about R:

<snip>
> 2) R facilitates documentation and replication.
<snip>

      When I finally made the effort to learn how to make R packages, I
experienced a substantial increase in my productivity.  Before I start
coding a new functions, I now write a help page including test cases in
the "examples".  Each function is part of a package.  After the code is
complete, I "check" (and "build" and "install") the package.  If a
change to function "A" breaks something in function"B", this usually
exposes it fairly quickly.  On average, I get working code much faster
than I did previously.  Moreover, when I'm done, I have (almost for
free) a package that is reasonably well documented that I can easily
share with others.

      This may not belong in a discussion to a group of people who may
not develop new statistical procedures, but I believe it can help almost
anyone who develops a procedure that will likely be used more than once
or twice.

      Spencer