[R] Pros and Cons of R

DavidM.UK david.merritt at bris.ac.uk
Sat May 24 19:26:33 CEST 2008

I think one significant problem is the lack of 3D graphics support with
interactivity as per MATLAB ( I here Xgobi offers something hear but I
couldn't comment having not used it)

On the GUI issue, I'm split - once you get used to R then it's great just to
use the command line - but as a language for teaching students (especially
those outside statistics - E.g. social sciences) a command like can be quite
daunting. R-Commander I guess addresses this to some degree - though it's no
match for the GUI offered by S-Plus (in my opinion).

I don't think a working knowledge of any other language can be considered a
negative - any half decent programmer should be able to pick up new
languages fairly quickly if they are experienced with one. Previous
experience is especially useful if moving from matrix style language to R
(E.g. MATLAB / OCTAVE).

I think your comments on "hard to install on linux" is a fair one -- in
terms of installing the base system that's fine, but when it comes to
install packages, I still get tripped up on compilation problems (I just
posted a topic on one such problem). It is certainly harder than say
installing a MATLAB tool box.

Cheers

David