[R] GARCH-like

DavidM.UK david.merritt at bris.ac.uk
Sat May 24 19:36:04 CEST 2008

Renato,

As you may know the two routines for fitting GARCH models are garchFit
[fGarch] and garch [tseries]. The RMetrics [who are behind the fGarch
library] team have usefully provided a white paper on Garch modeling
available from their website, which includes a simple example of how to fit
a Garch(1,1) model in R. You should be able to manipulate that code to fit
all manor of GARCH variants.

I don't think either the tseries or fGarch garch routines are actually
implemented in R code but rather they call Fortran / C routines.

You may also wish to consult the product documentation page for the GARCH
toolbox in MATLAB which is available online - it provides many useful tips
for Garch estimation - including "good initial parameter estimates"

Best

David M