[R] Pros and Cons of R

cls59 sharpsteen at mac.com
Sat May 24 22:44:45 CEST 2008

R is definitely an excellent environment for data analysis and display. It
has quickly become the tool that I use to bind together different models and
process the resulting data into reports and graphics. The Sweave package can
be especially useful for accomplishing this.

R has also been integrated into some GIS environments, the GRASS system is a
good example of this. The book "Open Source GIS: A GRASS GIS Approach" by
M.Netler and H. Mitasova. provides an overview of this capability.

The following post in the QGIS blog also shows how R can be used to output
data as shapefiles which can then be loaded into a GIS application:

http://blog.qgis.org/node/112

Monica Pisica wrote:

> Cons:
>
> - R has a very steep learning curve.

Based on my my experience conducting data analysis and visualization using
Fortran and MATLAB, R was refreshingly easy to learn. The demo() and
example() functions provide tremendous insight into the use of different
tools in R by executing code and showing the results.

I also found it extremely easy to obtain consistent graphical output from R.
Producing standardized views of different datasets in MATLAB can be an
exercise in frustration compared to what I am able to achieve using R.