[R] Configuring emacs/ess on Ubuntu

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun May 25 18:08:54 CEST 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 11:40:07AM -0400, Dale Steele wrote:
>  $ sudo apt-get install
>
> Installs  installs  ESS version 5.3.0.  Is there a repository for more
> recent version?

As it happens, "yes and no".  There is now a small group working on
Ess for Debian/Ubuntu, but there is no Ubuntu repository.

But as the package is not binary, you can just fetch the most current
Debian version (by hand). The package tracking (PTS) page is at

  http://packages.qa.debian.org/e/ess.html

and the pool is at

  http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/ess/

Just grab the file from there; if you install with my favourite frontend wajig you can just do

  $ wajig install http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/ess/ess_5.3.8~svn3902-1_all.deb

Hth, Dirk