[R] Configuring emacs/ess on Ubuntu

Roland Rau roland.rproject at gmail.com
Sun May 25 18:09:08 CEST 2008

Hi Wade,

Wade Wall wrote:
> I first installed through the package manager, but was unable to start R
> without opening a script file.  So I installed from the tarball, but am
> still unable to open R using any commands;  ESS loads into a buffer; but
> I can't use M-x-R to open R.   the only way I can open R is to open a

are you sure R is installed?

> script file first.  Maybe my question is, how do I create a new script
> file, type some commands, open R, and run script from the file?

this is a simple session which should work to create a new script file,
typing some commands, opening R and run the whole content from the
buffer in R. Please note that there might be a message like Cannot read
history file /your/file/path
"C" refers to the CTRL key and "M" to the Meta key (-> ALT)

C-x C-f myscript.r
rnorm(100)
C-x 2
C-x o