[R] interactive heatmap dendrogram locator layout grid package

Wittner, Ben, Ph.D. Wittner.Ben at mgh.harvard.edu
Wed May 28 22:02:30 CEST 2008

Hello,

I would like to display a heatmap with dendrograms and allow the user to click
on either dendrogram to choose a sub-dendrogram.

The function heatmap() uses layout() and image() and the plot method of
dendrogram to plot the heatmap and dendrograms, but if locator() is then called
and the user clicks, the coordinates returned from locator() are with respect to
the last thing plotted (e.g., one of the dendrograms) regardless of where the
user clicked.

It seems that the grid package's grid.locator() will return global coordinates
that probably can be used in a straightforward way to find what leaf viewport
the user clicked in and then translated to that viewport's coordinates. I don't
see, however, a grid.image() function, so I don't know how to plot the heatmap
when using grid.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Ben

p.s., I think it would be great if locator() interacted with layout() so that
locator() returned the which portion of the display the user clicked in (perhaps
by giving the corresponding number in the mat argument to layout()) as well as
the coordinates of the clicked point in the user coordinates last set when that
part of the display was being drawn in.

The information transmitted in this electronic communica...{{dropped:16}}