[R] apply in apply

baptiste Auguié ba208 at exeter.ac.uk
Fri May 30 10:13:14 CEST 2008

Dear list,

I need to apply a function on each column of each matrix contained in
a list. Consider the following code,

> x <- 1:3
> my.data <- list(matrix(c(1,2,3,4,5,6),ncol=2),
> 		matrix(c(4,5,6,7,8,9),ncol=2))
>
> par(mfrow=c(2,2))
> results <- sapply(1:length(my.data),
> 			function(ii) apply(my.data[[ii]], 2, function(y) plot(x,y) )) #
> plot is for demonstration purposes

It works, but I think this is quite dirty code. Is there a simpler
way of achieving this? I was considering recasting the list into a
matrix, apply the function to all its columns, and then reshape the
result into an array of adequate dimensions, as in:

> results <- sapply(matrix(unlist(my.data),ncol= 2 * length
> (my.data)), function(y) plot(x,y))
> #results <- matrix(results, ncol = length(my.data)) # when the
> actual function is used instead of plot

but again it feels a bit twisted.

Best regards,

baptiste